• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sherri

Sherri
  • Interests:Skinning!

• Proud IBSkin Lifetime Supporter!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

POPULAR

Skins released here at IBSkin do NOT just get discontinued unless there is good reason. The Aplitex series of skins HAD to be discontinued because IPS designed the IPB 3.x series skins with the right hand side bar. Because of this, there is no room and no need for Aplitex's left hand side bar, not to mention the fact that there is absolutely no room at all to ad the left hand side bar in to any skin as long as the right side bar is there. So this was why we had no choice but to discontinue it. The Aplitex series skins were my absolute BEST sellers of all time, so I was not very happy at all about having to discontinue them. It was not our fault for this at all. I'm truly sorry.

Any other skin that was discontinued was either due to the fact that it did not sell at all OR I only sold 2 or 3 copies which made the skin a total waste of my time to work with. In the 9 years we have been in business, I can honestly say that I have only discontinued 5 skins out of 120 total from IPB 1.3 all the way through to IPB 3.3.4. 3 of those were Aplitex series skins and one other, I never sold a single copy of so it was never upgraded. Another one of those could not be upgraded because of how much IPB changed with the next version so the features that made the skin sell could no longer be implemented, therefor I had no choice but to discontinue it.

Please understand that I do the best I can to stay on top of upgrades and I do the best I can to keep from having to charge upgrade fees whenever possible. But what I need you all to realize is that I can NOT work for free. Lately, IPS has had soooo many upgrades to the IPB software that I have had to spend MONTHS of working for free to do upgrades and before I even get those upgrades done, they release another upgrade. During all this time, I have had my internet shut off SEVERAL times, making it impossible to work because I give free or cheap upgrades and lately, since IPB 3.2, we have had nothing but upgrade after upgrade. I must either charge for upgrades OR I must go out of business completely and then you wont be able to ever get any of your skins upgraded at all. So please understand I have chosen the lesser of evils. Anyone that has purchased a skin for IPB 3.1 or earlier MUST re-purchase the skin at full price to receive the upgraded version because for IPB 3.2 I had to COMPLETELY re-write ALL skins from the ground up since so much of IPB changed, it would have taken far far far far longer to upgrade them than to re-write them. Either way, it was only fair that I charge for my time and work I had to put in to them.

I realize everyone gets frustrated at having to keep paying upgrade fees for skins, which is why I give free upgrades whenever possible (when IPS doesn't throw too many changes in the upgrades) But to be honest, if you can afford to renew your IPB license every 6 months to maintain your upgrades for the software, it is only fair that you expect to have to do the same thing with the skins AND the 3rd party mods as well. Programmers work just as hard as the skinners, and in some cases, even harder and many of them require you to renew your purchase every few months. At least I only do it when necessary. My skin prices are FAR TOO CHEAP to begin with. I average out making about $1.50 per hour when the week is done with all the work I do and the hours I put in here on the site and the amount of money I make on these skins, so PLEASE keep that in mind before you get upset with me for charging for upgrades. I really wish I didn't have to do that.
  • toprobroy, Wotsit, Spongebob and 3 others like this

#2 dmacleo

dmacleo

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

FWIW I find prices and support to be fair.

#3 Sherri

Sherri

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

FWIW I find prices and support to be fair.

Thank you Dmacleo. :)

#4 John

John

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Everyone has to make a living Sherri, if I could master the art of not having to eat i'd be a millionaire :laugh:
Considering you produce the best skins on the net and believe me i've tried many over the years I always end up coming back to yourself mainly because your skins always look good and work well, any teething glitches are always quickly sorted out and that is invaluable to me (bought a few elsewhere that where quickly unusable)

Whats a few bucks considering how much some IPB upgrades involve :)

#5 Sherri

Sherri

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

POPULAR

Planetby, thank you so much for your support and understanding. You gave me a big smile, that was much needed.
I can't thank you enough for always finding your way back to us. It is customers like you that keep me motivated and moving forward, no matter the hassles IPS may throw my way with these upgrades. It feels so great to know that my hard work is appreciated by someone so much, and that someone is benefiting from it. :hug2:
  • John likes this

#6 dmacleo

dmacleo

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

POPULAR

good skins, good prices, good support....and likes cats and dogs.
**** who could ask for more :)
  • John likes this

#7 Ray

Ray

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

POPULAR

Sherri I appreciate that you do what you have to do. Your rates are way up in my "Beyond Reasonable Scale". That you do what you do for what you charge is exceptionally appreciated by me at least and by the looks of it by many others as well.

Any waiting times that are encountered are well worth the wait because at the end of the day your clients are getting so much more than what they have paid for in my humble opinion.

Well Done and keep your chin high. You have much to be proud of.
  • Pahkiller likes this

#8 Sherri

Sherri

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

POPULAR

Thank you so much Ray. :thanks:
That really means a lot to me to hear (or read) you say that.
I must say, working with you on your custom skin was a true joy. I would give just about anything if all my custom design customers were like you. :480:
  • Ray likes this

#9 Pahkiller

Pahkiller

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

POPULAR

I totally agree Ray and over the last 10 years still have not come across anyone better than Sherri and the designs time she puts in etc.
For Sherri :clap:
  • John and Ray like this

#10 Ray

Ray

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

POPULAR

My new custom skin is a huge success at my site. It is continuing to evolve but then evolution is so very easy when the root (the skin) is so solid!! @Everyone......Shop around and you will quickly discover that you simply will not find better than here whether it is a stock or custom skin.

Sherri is was indeed a pleasure working with you and we will do so again!! :flowers:
  • Sherri and John like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade, fee, discontinue, cancelled, deleted, removed, available, skin, new, version